WCMS Middle School / IB Middle Years Programme
West County Mandarin School’s inaugural class of students participated in WCMS’s first IB Primary Years Programme student exhibition and awards ceremony June 2023. Students worked in groups to research and create presentations, in English and Mandarin, on numerous topics of global concern – air pollution, coral reefs, climate change, endangered animals and parental leave – that required them to expand their knowledge and problem solving skills while utilizing and displaying all IB PYP principles. Congratulations to our now middle school students!
Middle School Fall 2023
WCMS’s middle school program will continue with Mandarin immersion instruction and middle school core classes in conjunction with the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programe (IB MYP). The IB MYP will further build students’ critical thinking skills and global and social awareness. Students will be equipped to become confident leaders who will help solve global issues.
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP) comprises eight subject groups:
- Language acquisition.
- Language and literature.
- Individuals and societies.
- Physical and health education.
- Design. Why offer the MYP?
Research shows that students participating in the MYP:
- build confidence in managing their own learning
- learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills
- consistently have greater success in IB Diploma Programme examinations
- thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel
- develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens. Learn more about the IB MYP
Middle School Enrichment Programs
The middle school program will offer extracurricular programs such as:
- Extended hours morning and after school program *
- Physical Education (with Skyhawks Sports Academy)
- Music/Band Class
- Field Study Trips
- Soccer and Basketball teams
- Chess *
- Abacus *
- Martial Arts *
WCMS middle school will be located at our Pinole site at Pinole Middle School in the 2023/2024 school year. It will move to El Sobrante at the Betty Reid Soskin Middle School site in the 2024/2025 school year.
TO APPLY: Contact the school office at (510) 307-4523 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Also see the How to Enroll page